Northern Illinois College of Law, J.D., 2002
University of Wisconsin-Madison, B.A., 1998
Bettie Lewis sets the bar extraordinarily high when it comes to going the extra mile for a client. After becoming a practicing municipal attorney, Bettie felt she needed to better understand the perspectives of those with which she negotiated contracts on the city’s behalf. Bettie determined the best way to do this was by becoming a police officer herself. Bettie spent 11 months training part-time at the police academy going through all the physical and technical testing to become certified.
Bettie serves as corporate counsel for municipalities throughout the state of Illinois. In this role, she provides general counsel, oversees contract negotiations, union negotiations, general liability issues and matters stemming from claims of police misconduct and claims of civil rights violations.
Outside of her legal practice, Bettie is a member of The Links, Incorporated, an international African American women’s organization dedicated to community service and social outreach. She is also a member of Jack and Jill, an organization run by mothers to help their children develop leadership skills through volunteer and service work.
Away from the office, you can find Bettie spending her free time with her son and traveling throughout the U.S. and abroad.
Memberships & Involvement
- Member: American Bar Association; Chicago Bar Association; Illinois Municipal League Home Rule Attorney’s Section; Illinois Municipal Prosecutor’s Association; University of Wisconsin-Madison Alumni Association
- Committee Member: South Suburban Mayors and Manager’s Association Housing Collaborative
- Chairperson: Illinois Municipal Prosecutor’s Association Annual Conference (2010)
- Certifications: Police Training Institute, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign (2010); Northeast Multiregional Training Facility, Inc. (NEMERT); National Football League Player’s Association (NFLPA) Contract Advisor (2002-2006)
News & Press Releases
Presentations & Events
- Illinois Sunshine Law UpdatesIllinois Municipal League Annual Conference, 2010