Virtually all firms tell you what great lawyers they are, what amazing technology they use and how valuable their counsel is to your business. While we do think all that is true of our services, we know that platitudes and generalizations will not help you distinguish SmithAmundsen from competing firms.
When considering whom to trust with your important legal matters it may be better to simply have insight into what we believe is important and how that impacts what we do for our clients. In lieu of the puffing and platitudes, we offer some simple promises:
Our Promises to You
- We will be there for you. When you need us, we promise we will answer the phone and return your email promptly. If we’re not available at that exact moment, we’ll call you back ASAP - not next week, not when we have something new to report, but ASAP.
- We are focused on you more than on the process of lawyering. We promise we will listen to you first. That means we will take the time to really understand your objectives, appreciate your uncertainties and answer your questions before we begin to formulate a strategy or implement a resolution plan to address your legal problem;
- We will be brutally honest. We promise you will get straight talk and honest evaluations to help you make informed business decisions sooner rather than later. Sometimes, a tolerable resolution of a legal problem is required now and not later. We understand. We’ll help you appreciate the position you will likely be in down the road based on what is known now rather than telling you that we have to do a lot of legal work at your expense before we can help you figure it out. We will provide you with options at each stage of our engagements and help you arrive at the best legal calculus - understanding that you decide what is best for you and your enterprise;
- We believe that experience counts. We promise that you will have the right level of experience handling your important matters. This means understanding when it is okay to use paraprofessionals or associate attorneys to perform functions at a lower cost as well as when a senior partner is required to get the best result;
- We believe in the communities we serve and our responsibility to contribute to making them better. We promise our lawyers will reflect the diversity of the communities we serve and be integral contributors in those places, working with others to help improve lives where we work and live; and
- We believe in constantly learning to get better. We promise that we will continue to focus firm time and resources on the positive professional development of the people at SmithAmundsen who serve you. We are committed to the notion that everyone from top to bottom must devote themselves to making positive change and continuing to learn how to better serve clients - always. It is the training and development of our professionals that distinguishes us from our competitors and helps us secure better results for our clients.
All of this can be boiled down to one simple philosophy that drives all of what we do – put the client first. There are many good lawyers in many firms. There are far fewer lawyers and law firms where a culture and commitment of being client centered is truly paramount. We have been thankful to have earned the trust and confidence of a growing group of clients, to have developed a brand that is attracting great new legal talent to our firm and to have become trusted advisors to many business leaders. We invite you to be among those who have made us their first and best choice when the services of legal counsel are required.
- Glen Amundsen, Executive Committee Chairman